Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Listen to those hunches!

In April, I was walking on the beach, enjoying the beautiful day. The water was blue and green, and the sun was bright. As I walked and enjoyed myself, I suddenly had the strangest feeling that I might not be able to walk on the beaches much this summer. Was it due to red tide, I wondered? I remember 2005 or 2006, when the red tide was so bad I did not walk on the beach all summer, let alone swim. It was a curious thought. It was a week or so later when I heard about the oil spill in the Gulf.

Shortly after that, I also felt it might be an early and busy hurricane season.

Often when I’m out in nature, I’ll get information. Maybe it’s always there, but I’m quiet and receptive enough to hear it when I’m outside. I have chosen to “rerun” the information below, as a reminder to myself and others.

**************************************************

(originally from the August 2009 newsletter)

Eco-psychology Notes: We’re approaching the heart of hurricane season. Will we get storms? Consciousness may have a role in creating storms of all kinds. I was in downtown Portland, OR, years ago, during a hostage situation. The only cloud in the sky was a black one, right over the building with the gunman! There was a pretty clear connection to me.

As you make your normal hurricane preparations, you might also:

Spend time daily in nature. Listen to nature. I was gardening once when I got the hunch that a hurricane was coming. I doubted the message because it was only June 1, but it was true, there was a storm on the way. When we’re doing meditative and right brained activities, sometimes it’s easier to hear the voice of nature.

Watch animal behavior as a storm approaches. Wildlife, especially, can sometimes predict earthquakes, hurricanes or other storms. It has been said that fewer people would have died in the Tsunami if someone had noticed the animals retreating.

Trust your intuition. In September 2001, Tropical Storm Gabrielle stalled off the coast of Sarasota. The weatherman that night said with certainty that it would continue north. My gut disagreed, but I chose to believe the weatherman and didn’t go out and get extra water. I awoke next morning to Tropical Storm Gabrielle pounding Sarasota. There was so much rain, trees topped over in the yard, no electric, and not much drinking water. It was another chapter in the continuing story of listening to my intuition!

When there is a storm, try getting quiet and “asking” the storm where it is headed.

Use your nature grounding tools to help you stay calm when bad weather approaches. This can help you detach from the panic around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment