Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Earth Changes Within Us?

Earth Changes

By Anne Cederberg 1995

One day last summer, I got a clear, strong message in my heard. “The Earth Changes are in us.” The message said. It was one of those messages I know is not me, it is from outside of me somehow. The profoundness and clarity tell me that. In this space I’d like to explore this message.

Most of what I knew about Earth changes was not about human interactions with them, but predictions. These predictions always included numerous natural disasters presented as the earth’s way of healing herself from human-inflicted wounds. Predictions include earthquakes, volcanoes, tidal waves, floods, and polar shifts; occasionally sprinkled with reports of consciousness change and alien/UFO visitations. Many predictions tell of a return to a better life for the few surviving humans: life closer to the earth and in harmony with other people. These prophecies come from psychics, some indigenous peoples and “New Agers”.

I’m not in a position to dispute them, but based on the message I received, “The Earth changes are within us”, I’d like to examine some new possibilities.

While writing an article called Earth Body Human Body, I learned that the Earth is a living being and all life on Earth may be individual cells in the body of this being. And, from my own experience and intuition, I have grown to believe that just as my body reflects the totality of my thoughts, actions, and emotions, so the Earth’s body reflects the thoughts, actions and emotions of us all. Healing as individuals and as a planet are inter-connected.

Let’s talk about “external” earth changes. It seems some natural disasters “Just happen”. Earth quakes, for instance are a natural process of movement in the earth’s crust. We have trouble predicting earthquakes, and we can’t stop them. We may feel at the “mercy” of the earth and may feel like victims at times.

Other “external” earth changes are clearly the cumulative effect of human activity; the midwestern floods in ’93 were many years and many actions in the making. One way we can affect earth changes is to learn to make better choices. This can be a long process of trial and error. I think there is an easier, more effective way, which I’ll discuss soon.

I’ve heard a theory that humans collective consciousness causes natural disasters to bring about certain things we need. In the aftermath of a disaster, people always pull together. Are we seeking community and creating natural disasters to experience human closeness? Is the earth bringing us what we need?

Locally, the winters of ’92-’93 and ’94-’95 were very windy. Just prior to both winters, we experienced very disturbing elections that brought a lot of hate to the surface. I believe the winds were healing and cleansing us. We needed it!

I’ve also hard a theory that certain people live in certain areas. Some types of people need to live on fault zones; others need to live in “tornado alley” with violent weather. It gives us something we need. It seems that “external” earth changes may bring about “internal” earth changes in emotions, attitudes and behaviors. Every time I’ve been in an “external” earthquake, things shift inside me and fall into place.

What about how our “internal” shifts affect the planet, how we may influence outer events? What are our earth changes? What about the recovery movement, in its broadest sense? A lot of us are sifting through the ruins of childhood, re-parenting ourselves, forgiving, moving on. Twelve-step groups abound. There is a profound interest in anything Native American. There’s the Deep Ecology/Nature & Spirituality/Environmental movement. The Women’s movement. The Men’s movement. The rebirth of ritual. Dreamwork. Gay rights. Moving back towards community. As we all know, all these “movements” are hard emotional work. It is a time of great turmoil.

I once heard a great healing analogy: that of closet cleaning. When you begin to clean out your closet, the rest of the room gets dirty. But when you’re done, you have two clean rooms! The person speaking this was a healer. Perhaps she was speaking of the “healing crisis”, where things temporarily get worse before getting better. Right now, we’re busy cleaning our individual and collective closets. Everything looks like a mess. But if we continue to work, I think things will get better. I believe every step we take towards our own healing, heals the earth. As we truly heal at this deeper level, from the inside out, we will naturally make better choices and alter the world around us. Our healing will be deep, not superficial.

Can we alter the potential of natural disasters by making necessary changes within ourselves? Or are external earth changes inevitable? There have always been earth changes, since before there were people. But maybe our inner change will help us survive whatever is to come. I don’t know. The message “The Earth changes are in us” was clear and very real. The rest of this article is my very human thoughts as I try to understand the message.

My job, I feel, is to present ideas and hope others will use them as springboards to new thoughts and ideas. I’m trying to look at things in entirely new ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment