Friday, January 29, 2010

Ooops!





As much as I love watching manatees, I love seeing the other creatures in the canal as well. The highlight of this visit was watching the rays (spotted eagle, cow-nosed, and southern sting rays) hurling themselves into the air and then hitting the water with a big splash! Someone told me that it may be mating season and that's why they are jumping so much, or they could be jumping because their re-entry stuns fish. I'll have to do some research. Perhaps they are just jumping for joy!

You should have seen me, camera in hand, head swiveling from side to side as I spotted one jumping...aimed...in mili-seconds, no less...and pressed the shutter. I had quite a collection of big splashes (which was pretty great to catch anyway) and a lot of blurry photos of scenery across the bank that had nothing to do with rays! But I persisted. It was great fun....




(photo copyright Anne Cederberg 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment